Small guide for the traveling zebra!

Hey everyone! Sorry for not keeping up with the blog but health is being an issue lately, got those extra wisdom teeth taken out (I still have a little bit of pain), I got my MRI with gadolinium for my neck which came with a neck rectification and a protrusion between C5-C6 (Cervical vertebrae) that is giving me some pain while I work with the computers.

Soon enough I'll be traveling again, to the UK for a month, so I thought that it would be a great idea to make a small guide and tips for trips. I traveled a lot in the last years, and my trips are getting longer and longer, so I'm making my list for both short and long trips.

Med care and research:
It's important that you do a small research on the place you are traveling.

  • What's the weather like? Make sure to look out for the typical weather and read the forecast a week before you travel. On my first trip to the US in March of 2014, we went from -17 C in New York to 28 C in Orlando, so is a MUST to look for the forecast in all the cities you are traveling to. 
  • Do you need vaccines? In some parts is a must to get vaccines before you travel, like Brazil, that is mandatory (At least in Argentina) to get vaccinated against the Yellow Fever. Also, ask your doctor if he or she recommends any extra shots, my pneumologist said that it would be good since I'm going to a different season (Here is Autumn and in the UK is Spring), I should get the flu and pneumonia vaccines... Lucky me I got pneumonia here... anyway...
  •  What meds are you allow to take? I never had any problem with my meds while I travel through the US, but recently I was told that in the UK Tramadol it's illegal without a prescription, which made me panic because I need it for my neck (Only in emergencies) and I wasn't going to do the trip without it. So I had to go to my Doctor and get my prescription and a certificate just in case. Do a full research on what meds you can travel safely and the ones that need a prescription. 
  • What type of food they have? Some countries like very flavored food, so read guides to know what ingredients they use, to prevent allergies, heartburn, food poisoning, etc. 

Accommodation:
This is VERY important if you have a disability, check if your hotel/hostel/Airbnb, etc, has everything that you need, a shower easy to get in, a tall toilet seat, a ramp, elevators, anything to make sure that your stay doesn't become a hellish experience.

Traveling:
If you're flying, talk with your airline to get all the help you need, sometimes if the flight is too long I ask for a wheelchair, just to make sure my knees and hip survive the trip. I always book the seats next to first class, it might look the same but they have a few inches more than the rest of the seats.
Read all the details in the menus and if you have allergies let them now as many times as you can, get yourself a neck pillow, and special tights or stockings so it helps to the blood to flow in your legs. Walk during the flight to help your legs, if your flight has connections make sure to save all your pill for the longer track, doesn't matter if it's the first part or the second one... Always take the extra pills (Painkillers, sleeping pills, etc) in the longest one to make sure that your body gets time to process them.

10 Quick tips for trips: (Small personal tips)

  1. Make your luggage easy to carry.
  2. If your flying wear comfy clothes.
  3. Take half of the meds with you, and the other half in your dispatched luggage.
  4. Talk with the flight attendants of your special needs.
  5. Wear the clothes for the weather you are going to, not your own weather.
  6. Buy water o juice just before you get to the plane. (Hydration is very important)
  7. Get your trip to the place your staying planed, a friend, family, UBER whatever.
  8. Make copies of your medical info and put one copy in each of your pieces of luggage.
  9. EAT, get food in your body, so you keep up with your trip.
  10. Take at least ONE day for yourself. Rest, read a book BUT REST. Don't get exsausted!!!


Thanks for waiting!!! Have a great day
Love and let the dazzle gather up!!!

Comentarios